Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Day2 2day

It was really exciting to see comments for my previous post.

Today I learned a lot about human behaviour at work from my small business . Building a team of people from diverse background is so difficult. I have an operator who is educated(Diploma in Electrical Engineering) and four assistant printers who have not completed their 3 rd standard for running a printing machine. The operator with his education is able to accept new ideas, scientific reasoning for problems and is willing to try new things and learn. While the assistant printers had learned the trade from their previous work place from and experienced operator who works on "rule of thumb". The four assistant printers so now are classic products of rule of thumb believers and do not believe that there is more than one way to do it. I want to bring up a Continuous Learning, continuously improving work environment in the company. Such diversity in the attitude of work is making my task a herculean effort. So what am I going to do about it?

1) Call all of them tomorrow for a meeting and tell them what I expect from each of them.
2) Tell them that they are a team and should compliment each other in skills.
3) Explain them how continuous learning and improvement can increase their quality of life.

Hope this works.

As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious.

~Albert Schweitzer

3 comments:

Kirubakaran A said...

As a manager, you can tell them what you want. Do you respond to something being told and handed down to you?

I feel that a more subtle approach will work better. How about giving Rs.50 for every new skill learnt? Or something like that...

Money makes several abstract things concrete, don't you think? :-)

maniosai said...

I did do the abstraction,but not in terms of money but employabilty. May be I took it too far, should stick to money in next meetings

Kirubakaran A said...

oh! stick instead of carrot, huh? dude, u will just scare them. mind doesn't learn well under pressure, don't u think? it has to WANT to learn, right?